Sunday, March 01, 2009

Winter

"There is a privacy about it which no other season gives you.... In spring, summer and fall people sort of have an open season on each other; only in the winter, in the country, can you have longer, quiet stretches when you can savor belonging to yourself." ~Ruth Stout

So, I've been quiet this winter.......and as I looked back on my blogging, it seems every winter my post become less and my desire to just hibernate comes through.

It is not that we are not busy, we are. It is just that sometimes I don't know how to put in words the emotions, feelings, activities we are doing. We just are doing.

Emma Sage has been such a delight. My friend Mauzy said it well in a post on our online Trisomy21 community titled 'Normal for Down syndrome' in where she described her son Nash as "He is happy (but I will never be a “they are always happy” spokesperson!)" .....and I realize that I am usually reporting the same thing. Emma Sage is a delight and she is such a happy girl. Not always happy, but then again, who is. But her happiness is contagious and it just permeates her entire being.

So during this 'gray' time for me, I have this ray of sunshine illuminating my days........reminding me often that life is the journey, the day to day journey, and to smile and be filled with joy and happiness is surely a grand way to travel.

One thing we have been doing is looking through our gardening books. What a fun way to spend the cold days, dreaming of the warmth and the endless possibilities that lie ahead in our upcoming gardening seasons.

I've been savoring this time to myself.......recharging my soul.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Yes, this is the time to recharge, isn't it? The days seem quiet in winter...it's easy to be reflective, even if we are also busy. I get this...