Saturday, March 29, 2008

Grateful......

My friend Christine does a weekly piece on her blog called 'Grains of Gratitude'.....and I always love reading her posts, as I too, am so grateful everyday for the day I have been given.

The word Grateful, or Gratitude makes me think of my Mamie, as she is the most gracious woman I have ever met. She has taught me that being grateful is one of the greatest attributes we can hold.

So, as my Mamie has been getting older and time is beginning to take its toll on her physical body, I am reminded of this word......Gratitude.

On Thursday, Greta, Emma Sage and I [and Brooke the little baby I watch] headed down to visit with Mamie, as over the last few days it had been getting very difficult for her two swallow.

As I sat with Mamie and talked, I was reminded over and over again how blessed we have been....how our lives have been filled with such unconditional love....a family that shares a bond of love.

Emma Sage adores her Mamie [almost as much as I do] and I took this picture of the two of them together.


DSC09359

as we rode home in the car, I played this song by Art Garfunkel..........

I've got a roof over my head
I've got a warm place to sleep
Some nights I lie awake counting gifts
Instead of counting sheep

I've got a heart that can hold love
I've got a mind that can think
There may be times when I lose the light
And let my spirits sink
But I can't stay depressed
When I remember how I'm blessed

Grateful, grateful
Truly grateful I am
Grateful, grateful
Truly blessed
And duly grateful

In a city of strangers
I got a family of friends
No matter what rocks and brambles fill the way
I know that they will stay until the end

I feel a hand holding my hand
It's not a hand you can see
But on the road to the promised land
This hand will shepherd me
Through delight and despair
Holding tight and always there

Grateful, grateful
Truly grateful I am
Grateful, grateful
Truly blessed
And duly grateful

It's not that I don't want a lot
Or hope for more, or dream of more
But giving thanks for what I've got
Makes me happier than keeping score

In a world that can bring pain
I will still take each chance
For I believe that whatever the terrain
Our feet can learn to dance
Whatever stone life may sling
We can moan or we can sing

Grateful, grateful
Truly grateful I am
Grateful, grateful
Truly blessed
And duly grateful

Truly blessed
And duly grateful.


Mamie....we love you dearly and are so grateful we got to see you on Thursday.

2 comments:

Debra said...

I want you to know that your daughter is and of course all your children are beautiful. I need to pop over here more often to see. Emma Sage is beautiful and I so adore her spirit. Thanks for sharing her with us.

Debra and Hope

The Mom said...

TM - thanks for reading my gratitude posts and being grateful with me.

I am grateful for friends like you!

Praying for your Mamie. I wanted you to know how blessed I have been to hear about your amazing family members - your mom, your Mamie, your sister! Without ever having met them, they have inspired and blessed me.

My heart and thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time at the twilight of your Mamie's life. I'm so grateful that your sweet girl, and the rest of your family have had the chance to know their great grandparents, that is a blessing that many do not have, and I'm grateful that your family has :)

Love you and I'm thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers.