Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Fearless Voices

If you click HERE, you will come to one of the best articles I have ever read on the topic of the selective elimination of people with Down syndrome [otherwise known as Eugenics or Freedom of Choice]

The Appalled Voice of an Autism Mom
By Kim Stagliano

"The New York Times ran a front page, above the fold article recently titled, "Prenatal Test Puts Down Syndrome in Hard Focus." It seems that ACOG (The American College of OB/GYN's) you know, your friendly OB who gives pregnant women 25 mcg of mercury in that flu shot, is now offering a screening for Down syndrome to all women of any age - not just via amniocentesis, which is typically used only in women over age 35..........
The article goes on to state, "About 90% of women given a Down syndrome diagnosis have chosen to have an abortion." Could that possibly be a true statistic? I suppose the OB's would know.
So according to the New York Times, there is a PR campaign underway by parents of kids with Down syndrome, trying to tell people that having a child with Down syndrome is OK. In short, "selling" Down syndrome to a nation that turns in its cars every 3 years, demands women never look a day older than 35, and that men dye their hair and beard to attract the older women who are trying to look younger.
This article is so disconcerting to me on many, many levels. Earlier this month I saw David Kirby speak to the CT Chiropractic Association about his book, Evidence of Harm. He's a frequent Huffington Post blogger on autism, vaccines, mercury and the pathetic state of research for our children. Then I came home to an email telling me that a dear friend's grand daughter was just diagnosed with autism at age 3. Another child. Another number. Another family's guts turned inside out...................."


This article is definately a must read.......and I encourage all who visit here to read and talk about this topic.

3 comments:

L. Noelle said...

I read this. I read pratically everything I could find on the subject over the last few days referring to the NYTIMES article. It really inspired me to finish my long awaited, procrastinated project. My pamphlet for new and expecting parents. If you are interested, I posted it today on my blog, I would love your opinion, if you have a chance to read it! Thanks. :) Noelle

The Mom said...

Great article TM. I have written and rewritten many blog posts on the NY times article over the last little bit (until I needed to focus on our sweet Bobby) and I just can't come up with the right words.

Thanks for posting this. I really am afraid of what this country is coming to, in people's quest for perfection....

jennifergg said...

I LOVED this. Thanks for posting the link.