Wednesday, October 11, 2006

More on hunting for sharks teeth....

Hunting for prehistoric sharks teeth is something I have been doing since I was a young girl. My PopPop would take my siblings and I, to the stream at the back end of the farm and let us search the banks. My cousins, Charles, Sam, Taylor and Andy spent many years of their youth doing the same thing.....and now our children are on the hunt.

and let me tell you, it is fun!

Here are more pictures from our family reunion last Saturday.

Uncle Mikey....
Heading to the stream

Hunting for prehistoric sharks teeth
The hunt is on......these are sharks teeth that are from prehistoric times when this area of New Jersey was under the sea.

Emma Sage on the hunt
Emma Sage hunting with her plastic spoon.....she actually found some!

Look who got stuck
Fiona getting caught by a bush......too cute!

The long Walk Home
The long walk home.....Emma Sage catching a ride on her Uncle Mikey's shoulders.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I can't believe you can find them just like that? Where do they come from??? I mean - I know they come from a shark, but how do they get there???? That's sooo cool!

Unknown said...

Arn't they cool. The area of the farm was under the ocean millions of years ago, so as the sharks lost their teeth they settled to the bottom of the sea,,,,as time went on, they got burried on soil and sediment,,,as the waters receeded [I don't know how many years ago, but I would assume thousands and thousands [I know, I need to go do a goole search and find the answer] they became petrified in the earth....the little stream that runs though the property has erroded the layers of soil and unearthed the teeth.....and we are so lucky to be able to hunt for them.

I'll have to make you a necklace from one of them....they say wearing one brings good luck! ;)

Michelle said...

What a fun family pasttime!