Monday, June 26, 2006

Love

"To love another person is to see the face of God."-Les Miserables

There are two current news articles that deal with love, something that I believe is one of the greatest gifts of life....to love and to be loved. Whether it is the love between a Mother and a Child, Friends, Family............Love is the thread that makes life magical.

To think that just because Emma Sage has 47 chromosomes, that she is not entitled to fall in love with another ~ as she gets older, is almost as bizarre that no one has the right to fall in love.

But sadly, it has not been common for people with T21 to fall in love and marry, and while I have not done a formal research on the subject, I do recall reading somewhere [and if you know the source, I'd love to link it] that it was actually illegal for people with mental retardation to marry in some states. [or had been].

So these two following articles celebrate the beauty of love.

The first is a couple who happen to be the first Couple With Down syndrome to Marry in the United Kingdom. [The FIRST?!?]

Down's couple: A marriage to lift your heart
23:54pm 23rd June 2006

This is the title of the news article [note the non-people first language...I know, I know...I have a thing about that!] just click the link to read the article [which was very beautiful and moving,,,and the photograph in the article made my heart soar!!!!!]

and the second, with only 4 days to go is the marraige of SUJEET DESAI & CARRIE BERGERON and their Wedding story that is listed in The Knot [click here]

The love story behind Sujeet and Carrie has been one that I have just loved following. I met Sujeet at the NDSC convention in Minnesota and was over come by his aura and presence....he is truly a magical young man. I found Carrie on the Internet a few years ago and was taken by her art and story writting.....both of these young people had been inspiration to me [as I was new to the journey of Holland] and to see them fall so madly in love and to follow their hearts in the commitment of marraige makes my heart sing!!!!

I thought this quote was perfect for the love story of Sujeet and Carrie.....

"If I could reach up and hold a star for every time you've made me smile, the entire evening sky would be in the palm of my hand."-Unknown

"There is no remedy for love but to love more."-Thoreau

My hope for all my children is that they live their lives to the fullest and if they fall in love and want to marry, they have the opportunity to do so.

No comments: