- We knew, but we didn't know that Emma Sage had T21 during my pregnancy. I had premonitions and 'soft markers'.
- You are more than welcome to laugh about the 'premonitions' but they were actually right on and more accurate than the ultra sound scans.
- This was the first layer of preparation I had for embracing my daughters Down syndrome diagnosis.
- Emma Sage was born at home in the bath tub.
- No, it was not a planned home-birth, but again, this child has brought many pleasant surprises into our lives......and I hope that never changes.
- I was the first to say "Oh look, she does have Down syndrome"
- It took over 24 hours before anyone at the hospital confirmed my original diagnosis of T21....they all came and looked, but no one said anything. My sister and my Midwife both agreed with me that she had Down syndrome, but we did not have a doctor come and talk to us about the possibility for a day.
- That was fine by me, as my only focus was getting her to nurse.
- Emma Sage finally latched on and nursed almost 24 hours after her birth [even though she did latch on and nurse in the ambulance ride to the hospital.
- Emma Sage has always defied the statistics......she is her own unique person
- Emma Sage nursed until she was 3 years and 10 months old.
- Her favorite food is.........everything. This child loves to eat, from salad, to soup, to sushi, to pizza......you name it, she will try it.
- We opted out of Early Intervention.
- We were told we were depriving our child.
- Emma Sage has blossomed wonderfully on her own.
- Emma Sage is home-schooled
- She is currently following a First grade curriculum and loves to learn. She is working hard on reading and spelling and math seems to come easy for her [go figure]
- Emma Sage loves to dance
- She has been taking dance lessons since she was three
- Her first dance studio was our first experience with discrimination
- Her current dance studio is the epitome of inclusion and positive forward thinking.
Friday, October 05, 2007
21 Things you might or might not know about Emma Sage
I saw this on Unringing the Bell, and thought that it would be a good post for Get It Down~31 for 21 post.....and a good way to learn a little bit more about our pixie.