Saturday, May 07, 2005

"Mommy, Mommy, MOM!

Mommy!

Mommy, Mommy, Mom!

Mommy Watch this….

Mommy What’s that?.....

Mommy Why?.........

Mommy, I help you?......

Mommy, I do it myself!.....

Those words echo throughout my day….

All day and into the night, and while at times it can be very tiring, they are actually the sweetest words in the world.

You see, these words being echoed are from my almost four year old daughter, Emma Sage. For most people the thought of an almost four year old talking your ear off with question after question would not seem like a big deal, but for me it is a tremendous deal, because Emma Sage has Down syndrome, and expressive communication at this age is typically a new and developing skill in children with T21, so every question, every request, every Who? What? Where? Why? When? and How? Are magical moments.

Emma Sage is such an inquisitive and very independent little girl. She questions everything ~ Why? Why? Why? So I spend my days explaining to her “Why” using this time to help her understand the world around her. “What’s that?” ~ If it is something I know she knows, I turn the question around on her and say “You tell me what that is”.

“Watch this Mommy” as she begins to do a trick, clapping for her activity, I use the opportunity for her to explain to me what she just did, like….”Mommy, I jump on one foot!” "Mommy I do ballet" "Mommy, I buckle my shoe".....

This little girl can wear you out with all her questions, but weary or not, my heart pauses all day long to marvel at this precious gift……a sweet little girl who is so aware of the world around her and is so full of life that she just has to share……a tumble, a jump, a song, an observation, a question, a command, a joke or a story.

Today is Mothers Day…..but for me, everyday is Mother’s Day. Every day is filled with “Mommy, Mommy, Mom!”……and what an honor it is to hear those sweet words.

1 comment:

Monica said...

Tara Marie... you touch my soul with your writing. I agree... we do not need a special day to celebrate as each morning as little feet come dancing out of their rooms, we are rewarded again and again as the day goes on. Being a mommy is the most amazing gift there is. People around me try to make up for the fact that I don't really "get anything" for Mother's Day because Mikey isn't yet at a place where he can take charge of that and there are no other children or a DH to do so... but I "get" everything every day that I parent him and there really is no need for any one to give me more!