Tuesday, October 02, 2012

31 for 21 - Day Two


ad·vo·ca·cy :: [ad-vuh-kuh-see] :: noun, plural ad·vo·ca·cies.

the act of pleading for, supporting, or recommending; active espousal: He was known for his advocacy of states' rights ~  Active support, esp of a cause

One of the things that I take seriously as Emma Sage's Mother, is that as I advocate on behalf of her and other people with Down syndrome ~  I am also teaching her and giving her to tools by my advocacy for her to be able to one day raise her own voice......to speak her thoughts, her opinions, her ideas.     To follow HER dreams........

A favorite writer of mine on the topic of disabilities awareness is a gentleman named Dave Hingsburger.  He maintains a blog on disability advocacy at ‘Rolling around in my head’.

A post of his that touched me deeply is called ‘ChoicesIndeed’.  Upon reading this piece it became my hope that someday Emma Sage has the same spirit and drive as a self-advocate as this young man.

Take a read and tell me what you think.